The Pleasure Grounds
The manor’s gardens, with their undeniable beauty – the numerous ponds, cascades, and bridges – formed the backdrop to parties and balls throughout the Edwardian period. The pleasure grounds consist of paths and plantings around the circuit of five pools looping west from the house, with a long meadow slanting gently away from the manor. After passing through the ownership of various relatives, such as second-cousin William Lacon Childe, and then Rev Edward Baldwyn-Childe, the property was ultimately purchased by the Earl of Clarendon following the death of Mrs Baldwyn-Childe in the 1930s.
The grounds of Kyre Park have a rich history. During the Second World War, the house was used as a convalescent home for military officers and served as a military hospital. After the conclusion of the war, it then opened as a sanatorium and nursing home for children in 1950, specifically monitoring and nursing those suffering from asthma, bronchitis, and other chest ailments. On its closure in 1961, the matter of the future of Kyre Park house was discussed by Sir Gerald Nabarro (Kidderminster) in Parliament, where Enoch Powell stated that the building had been offered to Birmingham City Council for an undisclosed sum.
The house was left idle until 1965 when it then became a care home owned by Scope. However, it finally returned to private ownership under Tim Gwyn-Jones, who began final restorations and renovations of the house that were severely overdue. Furthermore, they opened the gardens to the public. The land and gardens are registered under the Historic Buildings and Ancient Monuments Act 1953 for their historic interest. It currently remains a quiet, unpolished tourist attraction, recognised for its inspiring landscapes and uncrowded space.
The History Of Kyre Park And House
A considerable number of alterations and additions were made throughout the history of Kyre Park and house – a thick-walled building, typical of 14th Century structures, with 18th Century additions on the south and east wings. Lord Compton and Sir Edward Pytts had begun the process of initial repairs and adding to the building in 1586. Only the hall and eastern staircase remain of the additions made to the manor in this period. 1588 saw the construction of the tithe barn and, in 1618, the dovecote was erected. Later, the most significant alteration made to the property in the 17th Century came in the form of a two-storied addition made to the south of the hall.
In 1880, the house was restored in a conservative manner; partitions installed in the hall were removed, and kitchen offices and small porches were added to the north front. In the hall that connects the west and north-east wings and occupies the centre of the north front are four original stone moulded windows, the most southern window now enclosed by a modern corridor. They have been transformed and repaired throughout the Century but have retained original features such as their iron fastenings.
Also still standing is the original U-shaped brick barn erected in 1618 on a sandstone base with tiled roofs to the east of the house. Next to the barn rests the circular dovecote, built with brick cells and covered by a conical tiled roof with small dormers, originally erected to the south side of the house in the 14th Century before it was moved to its present position in 1752. Further details of structures, additions and renovations of the house and grounds can be found at:
Kyre Park’s beautiful landscape can be easily navigated through a self-guided walk, with plenty of space and land to accommodate your needs, offering inspiring historical structures and protected monuments to visit along your journey.
Although the house itself is not open to public viewing, the outstanding and charming external structure radiates a vivid story where history is literally embedded in its walls.
Parking is available and accessible, and a tearoom can be found nearby in the Antiques Barn. The park can also be accessed on foot and familiar bus routes in the area take you there almost directly.